Welcome to the press page which contains:
i. Contact information for Social Firms UK for the media
ii. A selection of media coverage to date
iii. News items relating to Social Firms UK
i. Contact Information For Media
For more information and media enquiries please contact Sam Corry/Vicky Hoad at Blue Rocket (www.bluerocketgroup.com) on tel: 01273 779196 or email or
ii. A Selection Of Media Coverage Of Social Firms UK And The Sector
- Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention (The Guardian Website www.guardian.co.uk, 24.09.08) This article about CSR is written by Social Firms UK CEO, Sally Reynolds. The piece encourages businesses to take a more hands on approach to CSR, especially in the light of the credit crunch. Private sector companies are encouraged to either buy from, buddy or set up Social Firms and to attend the Double Impact event on 13 November 2008.
- Smallbizpod (www.smallbizpod.co.uk), the UK's first small business podcast has conducted several interviews that discuss the importance of Social Firms. Smallpizpod "presents interviews and practical advice for startups and businesses of all sizes. Real inspiration, real insight and the secrets of success from real entrepreneurs." The interviews can be listened to at www.smallbizpod.co.uk as follows:
- Interview with Nigel Kershaw, chairman of the Big Issue and ceo of Big Issue Invest which has established innovative ways to invest in social enterprises. Alex and Nigel talk about the challenges and priorities of social enterprise, prevention rather than philanthropy, desire for change and the social enterprise venture fund.
- Interview with Sally Reynolds, ceo of Social Firms UK talks about the Social Firms model, her work, inspiration, the launch of the Star Social Firms quality mark, the importance of social and economic inclusion, the challenge of running a social firm and funding.
- Interview with Jenny Sims, ceo of Pembrokeshire FRAME with some very practical advice on running a social firm including social accounting, establishing a diverse board and managing all staff equally to get the best from people and identifying their talents and skills whatever their ability.
- Caring Commerce (The Grapevine Magazine) (http://www.socialfirms.co.uk/document/format_uploaded/download.php/doc740.html, December 2007. The Grapevine is a human resources/personnel magazine) Sally Reynolds, CEO of Social Firms UK talks about how Social Firms can help disadvantaged people and the first five Star Social Firms.
- Another Way Into Work (Society Guardian)
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/dec/18/social.firms, 18 December 2007). Sally Reynolds, CEO of Social Firms UK talks about how Social Firms can help disadvantaged people.
- Finding A Star Social Firm (Society Guardian) http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/dec/18/star.social.firms, 18 December 2007). This item gives a brief description of the first five Social Firms to be awarded the Star Social Firm quality mark.
- Tackling The Mental Health Taboo (Guardian blog page 'Joe Public' http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/joepublic/2007/11/tackling_the_mental_health_tab.html) This article calls for a change in attitude towards people with mental health problems and outlines how Social Firms are supporting this group of people.
- Don't Discount The Disabled, www.realbusiness.co.uk, 3 December 2007
- Coverage of The Soap Co. Keswick Shop Opening By Mayor, Misc local papers, Mar 2007
- To see video footage about the opening of The Soap Co. Keswick, from Border TV, March 2007, visit YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow9VM9oDf7o (Just copy in this link into your web browser. N.B. the volume button automatically start on silent so please increase the volume via the button shown on the screen).
- 'What Is The Meaning Of Social Firms?' Social Enterprise Magazine, Feb 07
- 'Driving Your Social Enterprise Forward' In Touch Magazine, Summer 06
- 'Innovative Business Employing Disabled People To Open In Norwich' In Touch Magazine, Spring 06
- 'Get Well Trained Soon', document 1 of 2, Times Educational Supplement, 10 Mar 06
- 'Get Well Trained Soon', document 2 of 2, Times Educational Supplement, 10 Mar 06
- 'Breaking Barriers' New Sector Magazine, Dec 05/Jan06
- 'Forth Sector: Soap, Hope & Success', Social Enterprise Magazine, Feb 05
- 'In The Market For ..... Soap' Social Enterprise Magazine, Feb 05
- 'Forth Sector Cleans Up In Edinburgh' Social Enterprise Magazine Dec 2004/Jan 2005
iii. Latest News Releases Relating To Social Firms UK
- Social Firms UK encourages more private investment into the social enterprise sector (20.03.08)
- UK Social Firm sector increases 10% in 2007 (7.03.08)
- Employees of Social Firms and a buyer discuss their attitudes to Social Firms (13.02.08)
- Star Social Firm quality mark hailed a roaring success (11.02.08)
- The new UK Social Firms Trade Directory has arrived! (24.01.08)
- Star Social Firm, Haven Products, wins Social Enterprise Award (18.10.07)
- Solstice employees share their views of their Social Firm (15.10.07)
- Social Firms UK responds to DTI's Business Support Simplification (18.09.07)
- First Five Star Social Firms announced (17.09.07)
- New document explains how Social Firms sit within the spectrum of employment provision for disabled people (7.09.07)
- New leaflets provide facts and advice on benefits and work (6.09.07)
- Social Firm employment plan templates now available (6.09.07)
iv. Recommended Reading For Journalists
What's The Story: Reporting Mental Health & Suicide
Shift has produced a handbook to help the media improve public understanding of mental illness. 'What's The Story?' gives practical advice to the media on covering mental illness and suicide. The guidance gives journalists advice on how to avoid causing needless offence to the many readers, viewers and listeners affected by mental health problems and how to avoid sensationalising stories. To download a copy visit www.shift.org.uk/mediahandbook